Pearson test of English is a computer-based academic English language test aimed at non-native English speakers wanting to study abroad. It tests Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking.
Questions often test 2 skills together, such as listening and reading or reading and speaking. The whole test is done in a single session, lasting 3 hours and is taken sitting at a computer in a secure test environment. The speaking part of the exam is done at the computer. Your voice is recorded and sent for marking. One advantage of this test is that you get your results very quickly; in about 5 days.
- Differences between IELTS and PTE? IELTS and PTE have similar test sections of Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing. However, there are certain unique features in a content pattern which differentiates apart from each other.
- An IELTS examiner evaluates the speaking abilities of the candidates by making live conversation, which indeed is recorded in some recording device. But in PTE, there is no live conversation and candidate has to speak to a microphone for getting recorded in a computerized system. A computer program then evaluates the speaking and rates the test taker. The IELTS being completely paper-based uses the diagram, graph or chart for the writing section. On the other hand, PTE is totally computer based and thus uses many innovative techniques to test writing capabilities of the candidate.
• IELTS has set time for each paper, and candidates can move forwards and backwards whereas PTE has section timings and can move forward only.
• PTE is based on complete automated scoring and grades a test taker in the band of 10-90. A 0-9 band is used in the manual scoring pattern of IELTS.
• The IELTS Test Report Form is posted in 13 calendar days after the test. The PTE Academic scores are available online within five business days.
- Difference between PTE academic and PTE general and who should take the PTE general and who should opt for the Academic one? PTE, has two types one is PTE Academic and the other one is PTE General. PTE academic is a computer based test of English. It is designed to measure the academic English abilities of candidates who wish to demonstrate their level of achievement to professional and government organizations and education organizations.
- PTE General and Academic are entirely different if we know them exactly. PTE Academic just like IELTS and TOEFL has same four modules for test, i.e. reading, listening, writing and speaking. While on the other hand if you compare it with PTE General then this exam just has two sections a written paper and an interview. *In case of visa for getting into universities you need PTE Academic and not PTE General.
- To talk in terms of the score validity, the score of Academics is valid for just 2 years, while that of General is taken once in a lifetime, and can be used at any time in future.
- General test is conducted only thrice a year, while the academic one is conducted round the year, i.e. for 360 days.
- Registration for PTE General has to be done on Edexcel while that of Academic has to be done on the Pearson official site itself.