International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is considered the most popular and widely approved English language proficiency test intended for non-native speakers all around the world. The test is taken for the students and professionals for higher studies and global migration. We can easily understand the importance of IELTS judging the 3 million tests worldwide those held in the last year.
The 4 language skill tests – reading, writing, speaking and listening in IELTS are designed in a way that will be effective everywhere and every part of your life from study to profession as well as regular personal life. IELTS is the result of some brilliant minds those are world’s leading experts in language assessment.
- What purpose does IELTS serve? IELTS which is a language skill test intended for non-native speakers worldwide. This test is taken to judge the scale of your skills in all 4 parts of the language – reading, writing, speaking and listening. This prestigious language skill test serves the non-native test takers with the acceptance by thousands of organizations worldwide e.g. universities, colleges, schools, employers, professionals and migration in other countries.
- How IELTS works and its design and time frame? There are two types of IELTS tests designed to meet its purpose. First, the IELTS Academic test which designed for students and professionals those are thinking to go for higher study and professional purpose in a country where English is the native language. This test contains academic language features and assesses to understand the level of your 4 skills in the language whether you are ready or not for your study or professional endeavors.
- Second, the IELTS General training is structured to understand the level of your skills in 4 sections of the language if you are ready to start your secondary education, training program or any professional experience in an English speaking country. To migrate to the countries Australia, Canada, United Kingdom and New Zealand, the IELTS General training program is the requirement here.
- Speaking and listening parts of these two tests are same but there are differences between Reading and Writing components in the subject matters of the tests you are going to take.
- You have to attend the reading, writing and listening tests in one day but you are free to take the speaking test one week before or after the main test date. The time frame for the listening test is 30 minutes, reading 60 minutes, writing 60 minutes and speaking 11 to 14 minutes which make the whole test taken in 2 hours and 45 minutes.
- How is IELTS scored? The way to understand the scoring system of IELTS is very easy and simple. The system is called band scores on a scale from lowest 1 to highest 9.
- Quality, reliability, and fairness in IELTS: The test maintains the high-quality standards which are the reason for its wide acceptance. It ensures the reliability of the test result by making the identity of the test takers assured by following strict procedures, never repeating the same question, double marking, printing the results on a security-enhanced paper along with its online verification services. Apart from that to all the test takers, IELTS approach is considered being fair no matter what their religions, nationalities, cultures, genders or needs are.
- The test security measures: Countless security measures are taken to support and protect the interest of the test takers of IELTS. It also safeguards the interest of thousands of organizations those rely on this test system. The multi-layered extreme security surrounding the test papers and the whole process of the test, biometric registration and verification, the strict conditions are given to test takers, trained staffs to prevent fraudulent activity and identity theft etc have made the IELTS worldwide accepted and prestigious.
Pearson test of English is a computer-based academic English language test aimed at non-native English speakers wanting to study abroad. It tests Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking.
Questions often test 2 skills together, such as listening and reading or reading and speaking. The whole test is done in a single session, lasting 3 hours and is taken sitting at a computer in a secure test environment. The speaking part of the exam is done at the computer. Your voice is recorded and sent for marking. One advantage of this test is that you get your results very quickly; in about 5 days.
- Differences between IELTS and PTE? IELTS and PTE have similar test sections of Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing. However, there are certain unique features in a content pattern which differentiates apart from each other.
- An IELTS examiner evaluates the speaking abilities of the candidates by making live conversation, which indeed is recorded in some recording device. But in PTE, there is no live conversation and candidate has to speak to a microphone for getting recorded in a computerized system. A computer program then evaluates the speaking and rates the test taker. The IELTS being completely paper-based uses the diagram, graph or chart for the writing section. On the other hand, PTE is totally computer based and thus uses many innovative techniques to test writing capabilities of the candidate.
IELTS has set time for each paper, and candidates can move forwards and backwards whereas PTE has section timings and can move forward only.
• PTE is based on complete automated scoring and grades a test taker in the band of 10-90. A 0-9 band is used in the manual scoring pattern of IELTS.
• The IELTS Test Report Form is posted in 13 calendar days after the test. The PTE Academic scores are available online within five business days.
- Difference between PTE academic and PTE general and who should take the PTE general and who should opt for the Academic one? PTE, has two types one is PTE Academic and the other one is PTE General. PTE academic is a computer based test of English. It is designed to measure the academic English abilities of candidates who wish to demonstrate their level of achievement to professional and government organizations and education organizations.
- PTE General and Academic are entirely different if we know them exactly. PTE Academic just like IELTS and TOEFL has same four modules for test, i.e. reading, listening, writing and speaking. While on the other hand if you compare it with PTE General then this exam just has two sections a written paper and an interview. *In case of visa for getting into universities you need PTE Academic and not PTE General.
- To talk in terms of the score validity, the score of Academics is valid for just 2 years, while that of General is taken once in a lifetime, and can be used at any time in future.
- General test is conducted only thrice a year, while the academic one is conducted round the year, i.e. for 360 days.
- Registration for PTE General has to be done on Edexcel while that of Academic has to be done on the Pearson official site itself.